I asked Daniel Warner (creator of Masks from Rats & Crows publishing ) if he'd answer a few of my questions. He was quick, and to the point. Here's what he had to say!
1. Are you currently working on any projects and what can we see?
Right now I'm hard at work on Masks #2, as well as on a yet unannounced new comic book series . I do have numerous pet projects, too, most of them short novels to be published later this year.
2. Is there a particular concept or piece you are most proud of in your work and why?
The concept I'm most proud of, although it's nothing new really, is that every issue of Masks is its own little story, each at at least 45 pages, and can stand on its own while being an essential part of the overall story.
3. Do you have any formal training? Do you even think it's necessary?
I've not had any training, no, unless you count a few books on writing I've picked up. I'm usually a rebel when it comes to learning, but I must admit that knowing things never hurt anybody. Whatever you do, be that writing or directing or what have you, at some point you will find things out either way, formal training just (force-) feeds you that info in a structured manner.
4. Analog(traditional) or Digital, or a combination of both? What tools do you use and why?
I write notes and sometimes scenes and random thoughts on a piece of printer paper when I'm at my desk, because it takes my eyes off the screen and helps me think. I do that on the phone when I'm not at the desk, and most of my writing is done on the laptop. That's just more efficient.
5. How did you stumble into the Indie Comics scene?
Initially, I wrote and self-published Masks as a short book back in 2014, but it was tough to put out there, so I reworked it into a comic book. Way easier to promote! The idea was that people don't have time to read stuff, but pictures work well. And they did .
6. There can only be one survivor! Penciler, Colorist, Letterer, Writer. Why'd you pick that one? Please Explain.
Writer. I'll take a fine story over good visuals any day of the week!
7. Who's your hero? Athlete? Family member? Teacher? Caped Crusader?
Can't say I have one!
8. Do you even read comics, bro? If so which ones, if not...why not?
I read some, but not many. Mostly limited runs or one-shots here and there. I love Nemesis and some Batman stories. Planetary is up there with Watchmen. But I prefer books .
9. You can earn a comfortable living doing ANYTHING. What is it? Feel free to explain why.
Oh, writing, 100%. I'm already making a living that way, just maybe not as comfortable as I would've liked yet .
10. Where can people see more of your work or find out more about you?
11. Anything else you'd like to share with us? Political view. Religious view. Baby on the way? Your first job? Email address? Favorite sports team?
Politics is shit, religion is crazy, too many babies! Be excellent to each other .